Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/32/d409718396/htdocs/julie-holt/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 284

Where Have Y’all Been?

What’s it been, like a decade since I’ve overshared with y’all?

Three of you have mentioned missing your weekly Lighter Side reading since it makes you feel so much better about your own life and parenting. Far be it from me to cause your self-esteem to be lower – let’s get back to The Lighter Side! New and improved, and only at jholtwriting.com! (Shameless website promotion, check.)

Since you last heard from me, a lot has changed, so let’s just catch up a bit. It’s been almost a year since I made a total career change. I left the salon to work as a magazine editor, and it has overall been a wonderful change, with the exception of missing about 75% of my clients and coworkers. The other 25%?

 

Anyway, the new job lets me work from home and that is incredible. I get to pick my kids up from school, clean the toilet on my lunch break and have lunch dates with friends. I have an assistant who is energetic and a lot of fun. She doesn’t talk much, and she has no regard for my personal space. She takes a lot of naps on the job… come to think of it, she never actually does any work, but she’s super cute and she worships the ground I walk on, so I think I’ll keep her.

 

My capable assistant, Jessie, with her BFF.

 

Hubby changed jobs around the same time I did, so last spring our whole life was crazy with new jobs and routines and the usual homework, sports, church obligations. Frankly, the first six months of 2018 were a blur, and I’m pretty happy they’re over.

I’ve done the unthinkable – I became a PTO mom. Many of you will remember my adamant stance that I DO NOT need to be hanging out at my kids’ schools all the time, it’s just not my jam. But while I was changing up everything else, I figured WHY NOT? Also, after almost a decade of working with 4th and 5th graders at church, I started teaching  teenagers – THE HORROR. I’m telling y’all, I’m not even the same person who last wrote to you in April! With the new job, I figured I had the flexibility to be involved in different things. So far…

 

These new adventures have already provided a wealth of absurd and ridiculous things to tell you about in the coming months.

Another contributing factor to my long absence is that right around the time of my last Lighter Side post in April, my dad died. In the three months leading up to his passing, I drove to West Tennessee every weekend and sometimes more. Hubby was solo parenting every weekend, and I was stressed and exhausted. When I was there, I felt like I should be here. When I was here, I felt like I should be there. That was when I needed to step away from The Lighter Side because I felt anything BUT light. Honestly, it’s taken this long to want to jump back in.

2018 was a year of big changes and I have a feeling this year will be eventful, but hopefully in a less stressful way. I really can’t wait to share my very valuable insight on the stupid and unbelievable things that happen to me and in the world in general. Welcome back to The Lighter Side, friends!

 

Stay tuned to the blog, or follow Julie’s Lighter Side on Facebook and Instagram, but not Twitter because those people are nuts.